Antônio Carlos Brasileiro de Almeida Jobim (Tijuca (Rio de Janeiro), 1927 - January 25, New York, 8 december 1994), also known as Tom Jobim, was a Braziliansongwriter, composer, arranger, singer and pianist, the most important exponent of the bossa nova.
Jobim is considered the Gershwin of the Latin-American music. He has written more than 400 songs, some of which have become dozens of real standards . He also composed the music for twenty movies, Orfeu negro (1959) which is the most famous. His most famous song is Garota de Ipanema (The Girl from Ipanema), with text byVinicius de Moraes, which also meant the breakthrough for Astrud Gilberto . He died in New York during a heart operation. He was given a State funeral in Brazil, and Rio de Janeiro 's airport is named to Jobim.
Frank Sinatra was a friend and admirer of Tom Jobim and made to seal this friendship also two albums with him. Outside the compelling rhythm is also the very tasteful harmony choice with surprising melody lines typical of Jobim.
World famous songs by Jobim include:
- "Garota de Ipanema"(" The Girl from Ipanema")
- "Samba de uma nota só"(" One Note Samba ")
- "Insensatez"(" How Insensitive ")
- "Desafinado"(" Slightly out of Tune ")
- "Chega de saudade " ("No More Blues")
- "Águas de março"(" Waters of March ")
- "A Felicidade"and" O nosso amor "(from the film Orfeu Negro )
- "Corcovado"("Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars")
- "Agua de Beber"("Water to Drink")