Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Orchestra was founded in 1930as, with as first Chiefconductor Adrian Boult. As principal guest conductor Arturo Toscanini can be called. Also this Orchestra has the last years at home composers, such asMark-Anthony Turnage (from 2000) and John Coolidge Adams (from 2003). Principal guest conductor David Robertsonis from 2005 the American, who recently extended his contract until 2011.
By their independence from public one can give commands to take care of them than the composers and premieres, e.g. Harrison Birtwistle's Earth Dances , Riturel in memoriam Bruno Maderna and Pierre Boulez's The protecting Veil by John Tavener. The Orchestra also offers many concerts at the famous Proms in the Royal Albert Hall in London, usually the opening and closing of the series.
- BBC Philharmonic Orchestra;
- the BBC National Orchestra of Wales;
- the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra and
- the BBC Concert Orchestra.
- 1930-1950: Adrian Boult
- 1950-1957: Malcolm Sargent
- 1957-1963: Rudolf Schwarz
- 1963-1967: Antal Doráti
- 1967-1971: Colin Davis
- 1971-1975: Pierre Boulez
- 1976: Rudolf Kempe
- 1978-1981: Gennady Rozhdestvensky
- 1982-1989: John Pritchard
- 1989-2000: Andrew Davis (no relation to Colin)
- 2000-2004: Leonard Slatkin (final concert of the Proms in 2004)
- from 2006: Jiří Bělohlávek (first concert of the Proms 2006)