- 2 Personnel
- 3 Cover versions
- 4 References
- 5 External links
The song was written for Lennon's son Sean, his only child with Yoko Ono. It begins with John comforting his son from what is presumably a nightmare and develops into John passionately describing the love he has for his son and the joy Sean gave him.
At the end of the song, John Lennon whispers "Good night, Sean. See you in the morning. Bright and early." in a similar fashion to what Ringo Starr whispers at the end of the Beatles song "Good Night", which was a song written by John Lennon for his other son, Julian Lennon.
The lyrics of "Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)" contain the famous Lennon quote "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
- John Lennon - vocals, acoustic guitar
- Earl Slick - acoustic guitar
- Hugh McCracken - lead guitar
- Tony Levin - bass
- George Small - keyboards
- Andy Newmark - drums
- Robert Greenidge - steel drum
- Arthur Jenkins - percussion
The song reached number two on the Quebec Airplay Chart. "Beautiful Boy" was also popular on adult contemporary charts, peaking at number 18 in the US and number 32 in Canada. It also reached number 30 on the Hungarian Airplay Chart.
- Former Monkee Micky Dolenz covered the song on his 1991 album, Micky Dolenz Puts You to Sleep.
- A cover of the song by Richard Dreyfuss was included in the 1995 film Mr. Holland's Opus.
- In 1998, "Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)" was covered by Japanese trio, Dreams Come True, as the B-side to their "Ahaha" single, which was later released on a 65th anniversary tribute album in 2005.
- In 2006, it was covered by UK rock band Feeder as part of a tribute album, given away with Q magazine, titled Lennon: Covered Vol 2.
- In 2007, it was covered by Ben Harper for the benefit album Instant Karma: The Amnesty International Campaign to Save Darfur.