Beverley Knight, born Beverley Ann Smith (Wolverhampton (England), 22 March 1973) is a Jamaican-British soul singer. The music of the singer is influenced by greats such as Sam Cooke and Aretha Franklin. Knight is signed to the British label Parlophone and has 7 studio albums released. In many cases, and particularly in England-is seen as one of Britain's greatest Soul Beverley ' singers '. Her most recognizable hits include Shoulda Woulda Coulda, Greatest Day and Come As You Are. Early 2007 the singer from Queen Elizabeth II a MBE (Order of the British Empire) for her contribution to British music.
Knights heavy religious Jamaican parents approved pop music, but they grew, however, with gospel music. As a child she joined the local church choir. When her career began to take shape, she took the stage name to Knight . In 1994 the then still unknown Beverley signed a record deal with Dome Records. She wrote dozens of songs which appeared on her debut album in 1995 a selection The B-Funk ended up. Although the album is still seen as one of the best soul plates from England, it was a big flop. The released singles scored poorly in the charts and when Knight hit in conflict with the label, she decided to resign. In 1997 she signed a contract with Parlophone for multiple albums. In 1998 she published her second album Prodigal Sista who became a success in his own country. The song Greatest Day was the biggest hit from this album and splashing. Prodigal Sista eventually achieved Gold status in England.
In 2001 worked Knight to her third album with several producers as James Poyser (Lauryn Hill, Mariah Carey, Jill Scott, Erykah Badu), Derrick Joshua & Derrick Martin, D'Influence, Mike Spencer and Colin Emmanuel.At the beginning of 2002 under the title the album Who I Am and brought the success singles Get Up! and Shoulda Woulda Coulda gone. After a successful tour in England in the summer of 2003 Knight returned back to the studio for a new album. With this album they wanted to reach an even wider audience. To increase the chances that the singer began a collaboration with Guy Chambers, the man behind many of Robbie Williamshits. In mid-2004 the cd under the name Affirmation '. The singles " Come As You Are, Not Too Late For Love and Keep This Fire Burning ensured that the album achieved gold status. With this album at her side went on a concert tour of England, a Knight again tour which many gigs were sold out. At the end of 2006, Beverley Knight performed as support act during the comeback tour by Take That. Also that year he released the compilation album Voice-The Best of Beverley Knight, which was followed by a successful tour. In 2007 she published her album Music City Soul, that was recorded in Nashville and the U.s. especially soul music brings. The singer has long wanted a plate like this had to happen to tracks that are not overproduced, to include: an album that could show how the soul in the 60s sounded.
In 2009, 100%said it appeared a "funky" and "upbeat" album with influences from rock. Beverley Knight brought In 2011 Soul UK from which they numbers of British soul artists covert.
- Although Knight at home getting quite some hits on her name, she is hardly known outside of England. In the Netherlands the singer knew only one number to reach Dutch Single Top 100 , namely Shoulda Woulda Coulda from 2002 (# 81).
- "Flavour Of The Old School" (March 1995)
- "Down For The One"-(1995)
- "Flavour Of The Old School" (re-issue, October 1995)
- "Moving On Up (On The Right Side)"-(1996)
- "Made It Back" (featuring Redman)-(1998)
- "Rewind (Find A Way)"-(1998)
- "Made It Back ' 99"-(1999)
- "Greatest Day"-(1999)
- "Sista Sista"-(1999)
- "Get Up"-(2001)
- "Shoulda Woulda Coulda"-(2002)
- "Come As You Are"-(2004)
- "Not Too Late For Love"-(2004)
- "Do They Know it's Christmas?" (part of Band Aid 20)-(2004)
- "No More" (Roni Size along with Beverley Knight and Dynamite MC)-(2005)
- "Keep This Fire Burning"-(2005)
- "Piece Of My Heart"-(2006)
- "No man's Land"-(2007)
- "After You"-(2007)
- "The Queen Of Starting Over"-(2007)
- "Running Free" (Ali Campbell with Beverley Knight)-(2008)
- "Beautiful Night"-(2009)
- "In Your Shoes"-(2009)
- "Soul Survivor"-(2010)
- "Mama Used To Say"-(2011)
- "Cuddly Toy"-(2011)
- "One More Try"-(2011)
- The B-Funk -(1995)
- Prodigal Sista -(1998)
- Who I Am -(2002)
- Affirmation -(2004)
- Voice-The Best Of Beverley Knight -(2006)
- Music City Soul -(2007)
- 100% -(2009)
- Soul UK -(2011)