Brokencyde is an American crunkcore musical group from Albuquerque, New Mexico founded in 2006.
Brokencyde was founded by singers Se7en and Antz. The name of the band supposedly originated from the idea that their music was "broken inside" due to personal problems. After the band began promoting themselves online, members Phat J and Mikl joined Brokencyde. They released their debut mixtape, The Broken!, in July 2007, followed by another mixtape, Tha $c3ne Mixtape (2008).
BC13 EP (2008–2009)Edit
Brokencyde toured with bands such as Breathe Carolina, The Morning Of, Karate High School, and Drop Dead, Gorgeous. In July 2008, brokeNCYDE appeared on MTV's Total Request Live, where they performed the single "FreaXXX" on the segment "Under the Radar." They signed with Suburban Noize Records later that summer, and released the BC13 EP on November 11, 2008 during a promotion with the retail chain Hot Topic.
In 2008, the group performed dates on the Millionaires-headlined "Get F$cked Up" tour, and appeared twice on "Fearless Music TV," performing "Sex Toyz" and "FreaXXX" in December 2008.
I'm Not a Fan, But the Kids Like It! (2009)Edit
The group's first full-length release, I'm Not a Fan, But the Kids Like It, debuted at #86 on the Billboard 200 in July, 2009. Brokencyde was featured on the US Warped Tour 2009, but left the tour in August to play featured appearances in Europe.
In 2009, Brokencyde played dates on "The Original Gangstour" tour with Eyes Set to Kill, And Then There Were None, and Drop Dead, Gorgeous. They played dates on the "Saints and Sinners Tour 2009" with Senses Fail, Hollywood Undead, and Haste The Day.
brokeNCYDE is generally panned on every occasion possible by critics and music fans alike. "Thrash Magazine" has called them "a mockery to the world of music". Cracked.com contributor Michael Swaim said the band sounded like "a Slipknot-Cher duet".  British comic book writer Warren Ellis considered brokeNCYDE's "FreaXXX" music video "a near-perfect snapshot of everything that’s shit about this point in the culture". A writer for the Warsaw Business Journal attempted to describe their music: "Imagine an impassioned triceratops mating with a steam turbine, while off to the side Daft Punk and the Bee Gees beat each other to death with skillets and spatulas. Imagine the sound that would make. Just try. brokeNCYDE is kind of like that, except it also makes you want to jab your thumbs into your eyeballs and gargle acid."
The New Musical Express stated in a review of I'm Not a Fan, But the Kids Like It!, that "even if I caught Prince Harry and Gary Glitter adorned in Nazi regalia defecating through my grandmother’s letterbox I would still consider making them listen to this album too severe a punishment."
August Brown of the Los Angeles Times writes:
"This 'Albucrazy'-based band has done for MySpace emo what some think Soulja Boy did for hip-hop: turn their career into a kind of macro-performance art that exists so far beyond the tropes of irony and sincerity that to ask 'are they kidding?' is like trying to peel an onion to get to a perceived central core that, in the end, does not exist and renders all attempts to reassemble the pieces futile."
- Steven (David) Gallegos ("Se7en") –lead vocals
- Michael Shea ("Mikl") – clean vocals
- Julian McLellan ("Phat J") – keyboards, synthesizers, programming, vocals
- Anthony Trujillo ("Antz") – programming, fog machine, lights, backing vocals
|2009||I'm Not a Fan, But the Kids Like It!||Suburban Noize||June 16, 2009|
|2010||Will Never Die||BreakSilence||November 9, 2010|
|2011||Guilty Pleasure||Suburban Noize||November 8, 2011|
|2007||The Broken!||Self-released||July 7, 2007|
|2008||Tha $c3n3 Mixtape||Self-released||2008|
|2011||DJ Sku Presents: BrokeNCYDE Vol. 1||Self-released||March 30, 2011|
|2008||BC13||Self-released||March 27, 2008|
|2008||BC13 Mix||Self-released||April 28, 2008|
|2008||BC13 EP||Break Silence||October 21, 2008|
- ↑ Brokencyde. Indiestar.tv. Mainstream Killed the Indie Star. Retrieved on July 6, 2009.
- ↑ brokeNCYDE Wrap Up Sold Out Tour And Enter Studio To Record Debut Full Length
- ↑ Tour details
- ↑ Innovators of Crunkcore brokeNCYDE Release Debut EP Exclusively Through Hot Topic November 11th, 2008
- ↑ Brokencyde performs "Freaxxx" live on Fearless Music in NYC.. NME.com. NME. Retrieved on July 1, 2009.
- ↑ Chart, Billboard.com
- ↑ Rich Leigh (2008-12-28). Warped Tour 2009 Line-up. Retrieved on July 1, 2009. Template:Dead link
- ↑ Brokencyde Kicked Off Warped Tour? Nay! (2009-08-26).
- ↑ Saints and Sinners details
- ↑ Cracked article
- ↑ Thrash Magazine
- ↑ WarrenEllis.com
- ↑ "Tech Eye: Fresh ideas, sour tunes". Warsaw Business Journal. 12 April 2010. http://www.wbj.pl/article-49206-tech-eye-fresh-ideas-sour-tunes.html?type=wbj. Retrieved 25 August 2011.
- ↑ Album Review: Brokencyde - 'I'm Not A Fan, But The Kids Like It!'
- ↑ LA Times review