Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Céline Marie Claudette Dion, Template:Post-nominals Template:Small (Template:IPAc-en; Template:IPA-fr; born 30 March 1968) is a Canadian singer. Born into a large family from Charlemagne, Quebec, Dion emerged as a teen star in the French-speaking world after her manager and future husband René Angélil mortgaged his home to finance her first record. In 1990, she released the English-language album Unison, establishing herself as a viable pop artist in North America and other English-speaking areas of the world.
Dion first gained international recognition in the 1980s by winning both the 1982 Yamaha World Popular Song Festival and the 1988 Eurovision Song Contest where she represented Switzerland. Following a series of French albums in the early 1980s, she signed on to CBS Records Canada in 1986. During the 1990s, with the help of Angélil, she achieved worldwide fame after signing with Epic Records and releasing several English albums along with additional French albums, becoming one of the most successful artists in pop music history. However, in 1999 at the height of her success, Dion announced a hiatus from entertainment in order to start a family and spend time with her husband, who had been diagnosed with cancer. She returned to the top of pop music in 2002 and signed a three-year (later extended to almost five years) contract to perform nightly in a five-star theatrical show at the Colosseum at Caesars Palace, Paradise, Nevada.
Dion's music has been influenced by genres ranging from rock and R&B to gospel and classical. Her recordings are mainly in French and English, although she also sings in Spanish, Italian, German, Latin, Japanese and Mandarin Chinese. While her releases have often received mixed critical reception, she is renowned for her technically skilled and powerful vocals. Dion has won five Grammy Awards, including Album of the Year for Falling Into You and Record of the Year for "My Heart Will Go On (Love Theme from Titanic)". She is the second best-selling female artist in the US during the Nielsen SoundScan era, with her albums Falling Into You and Let's Talk About Love both certified Diamond in the US, and is the only female artist to have two singles sell more than a million copies in the UK. In addition, her 1995 album D'eux, is the best-selling French-language album of all time. In 2004, after surpassing 175 million in album sales worldwide, she was presented with the Chopard Diamond Award at the World Music Awards for becoming the best-selling female artist of all time. Dion remains the best-selling Canadian artist of all time with record sales of more than 200 million copies worldwide.
English Singles and VideosEdit
French Singles and VideosEdit
Celine Dion Video Albums Edit
- Au cœur du stade
- All The Way...A Decade Of Song And Video
- Celine: Through the Eyes of the World
- Céline sur les Plaines
- Live à Paris
- Live In Memphis
- Live in Las Vegas: A New Day...
- On Ne Change Pas
- Taking Chances World Tour: The Concert
- ↑ "Dion, Celine". Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 10th Edition, 2009.
- ↑ Glatzer, Jenna (2005). Celine Dion: For Keeps. Andrews McMeel Pub. p. 13. ISBN 0-7407-5559-5. http://books.google.com/?id=CAvRv-Myw08C&pg=PA13. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- ↑ Dion, Celine. Jam!. Canoe.ca. Retrieved on September 25, 2013.
- ↑ Céline Dion. The Canadian Encyclopedia. Historica-Dominion. Retrieved on September 25, 2013.Template:Dead link
- ↑ Bliss, Karen (March 1, 2004). "25 years of Canadian artists". Canadian Musician Template:Subscription required. http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-620333701.html. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- ↑ Eurovision Song Contest 1988. Eurovision Song Contest. European Broadcasting Union. Retrieved on February 9, 2014.
- ↑ Taylor, Chuck (6 November 1999). "Epic/550's Dion offers Hits". Billboard: p. 1.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 "The 'ultimate diva'". People in the News (CNN). 22 October 2002. http://edition.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/people/shows/dion/profile.html. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- ↑ Celine Dion. "Interview with Celine Dion." Peter Nansbridge. The National. With Alison Smith. CBC-TV. 28 March 2002. Transcript.
- ↑ Helligar, Jeremy (31 March 2003). "Céline Dion livin' la vida Vegas!". Us: p. 56.
- ↑ "Celine Dion Releases 1st CD Since 1997". (15 April 2002). Digital Journal Retrieved (12 October 2009)
- ↑ Hilburn, Robert (April 11, 2002). "Ashanti Displaces Dion at Top". Los Angeles Times. http://articles.latimes.com/2002/apr/11/news/wk-albums11. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- ↑ Alexander, Charles P. (7 March 2004). "The Power of Celine Dion". Time. http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,980285,00.html. Retrieved 25 September 2013. Template:Registration required
- ↑ Gardner, Elysa (16 November 1997). "Review: Falling Into You". Los Angeles Times: p. 68.
- ↑ Cove Magazine. The 100 Outstanding Pop Vocalists. Retrieved on August 29, 2006.Template:Dead link
- ↑ Past Winners Search (Celine Dion). Grammy.com. Retrieved on October 15, 2013.
- ↑ Trust, Gary (2 June 2010). "20/20 'Vision': Mariah Marks Milestone". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/957957/2020-vision-mariah-marks-milestone. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- ↑ Ask Billboard: Battle of the Divas, Round 3. Billboard. Retrieved on June 27, 2013.
- ↑ Featured Artists Celine Dion Official Charts Company. Retrieved 3 October 2010.
- ↑ "The real Céline: Céline Dion’s new French album shows her personal sideTemplate:Dead link" 29 May 2007. CBC. Retrieved 12 October 2009.
- ↑ Celine Dion honoured by World Music Awards Canada.com Retrieved 1 December 2010
- ↑ World Music Awards to honor Celine DionTemplate:Dead link CTV News Retrieved 1 December 2010
- ↑ Villarreal, Yvonne (June 23, 2010). "Hollywood Star Walk: Celine Dion". Los Angeles Times (Tribune Company). http://projects.latimes.com/hollywood/star-walk/celine-dion/. Retrieved April 20, 2013.
- ↑ "Dion Named All-time Best-selling Canadian ActTemplate:Dead link". (6 January 2000). Allbusiness. Retrieved 12 October 2009.
- ↑ Learn, Josh "High Fidelity: Top Selling Canadian ArtistsTemplate:Dead link". The Brock Press. Retrieved 12 October 2009.