Composed by Perry and Romeo, "Chase the Devil" was released on the album War ina Babylon in 1976. Also in 1976, The Upsetters recorded a version with different lyrics. The track, called "Croaking Lizard" and credited to The Upsetters and Prince Jazzbo, was included in their album Super Ape. Later, Perry made a dub remix of both versions, called "Disco Devil".
Use in popular cultureEdit
- "Out of Space" by The Prodigy (1992) sampled the song.
- Kanye West has used samples from "I Chase the Devil" to produce Jay-Z's hit song "Lucifer", which appeared on Jay-Z's 2003 release, The Black Album.
- The song was featured on the reggae radio station K-Jah West in a popular video game Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, released in October 2004.
- Madness covered the song for their cover album, The Dangermen Sessions Vol. 1, released in 2005.
- Skazi recorded a cover on their album Total Anarchy (2006).
- "Iron Shirt" by The Qemists (2006) sampled "Chase the Devil".
- Earl Sixteen released his version of the song in 2008.
- "Chase the Devil" was also used in the 2011 film Paul.
- In 2010, Dr. Martens included the song as performed by N.A.S.A. in 50 Years of Dr. Martens covers album.
- A sample from the song was used on "Lucifer", a track by Coki, in 2011.
- Azealia Banks samples the song on the track "Out Of Space" from the Fantasea mixtape.
Uzi Mon, A Bermudian Faux Raggae Artist uses a sample of Chase the Devil in his song, Heaven.