Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Clive Dunn (London, England, 9 January 1920 – Algarve, Portugal, november 6, 2012) was an English actor, singer and entertainer , best known for his role as Lance-Corporal Jack Jones in the BBCseries Dad's Army (here come the shooters).
Dunn was born in London into a family of music hallartists, and is a cousin of actress Gretchen Franklin. Franklin played in Eastenders and was in the series George & Mildred as the demented mother of Mildred. Starting from the 1930s Dunn played small film roles. During the Second World War was he seven years soldier at the British mechanized cavalry. He was captured in Greece in 1941 and was four years in a POW camp in Austria.
From the 1950s he was active as an actor again. In the sixties he broke through as a television actor in comedies with Tony Hancock, Michael Bentine, Dora Bryan andDick Emery and others. In 1967 , he played a guest role in episode Something Nasty in the Nursery of The Avengers (the Avengers)
In 1968 Dunn got the role of Lance-Corporal Jack Jones in dad's Army. Dunn was then 48. He was one of the youngest members of the cast but played the role of a butcher in the seventy's already under Kitchenerhad served in Sudan . Of the members of the Home Guard of Walmington-on-Sea had "Jonesy" most experience, but he was of them also the most affected by the ravages of time. The character Jonesy is known because the panic quickly, it invariably ' don't panic, don't panic ' being called out, and by the catchphrase ' Permission to speak, Sir? '
Dunn was a fervent socialist and made often quarrel with the conservative Arthur Lowe who played in the series Captain George Mainwaring. When Dunn finally an award received (Officer of the British Empire), after having refused several times, Lowe would have let it be known that he in turn would only accept a hógere award than that of Dunn.
After Dad's Army played Dunn a similar role in the television series "Grandad" (1979-1984). He even had a number one hit with the Grandadwritten by Herbie Flowers , accompanied by a children's choir. After the series "Grandad" in 1984 had stopped still in a TV film version of Dunn played Much Ado About Nothing, but then he disappeared from the screen. He settled with his wife Priscilla Morgan, himself also an actress, and their two daughters in the Algarve (Portugal), because he once Greta Garbo in Queen Christina had to see off Portugal.
Dunn died on 6 november 2012 after complications during surgery, he was 92 years old.
- Boys Will Be Boys (1935)-unknown Role (uncredited)
- Good Morning, Boys (1937)-unknown Role (uncredited)
- A Yank at Oxford (1938)-unknown Role (uncredited)
- The Railway Children TV series-District Superintendent (Afl., Saviors of the Train, 1951)
- The Tony Hancock Show TV series-various roles (unknown episodes, 1956-1957)
- Treasure Island (Television film, 1957)-Ben Gunn
- Studio E TV series-Charlie Quick (Episode 2 december 1957)
- The Treasure of San Teresa (1959)-cemetery Administrator
- After Hours TV series-various roles (1959)
- The Dickie Henderson Half Hour TV series-Role unknown (1959)
- Hancock's Half Hour TV series-Ginger Johnson (Afl., The Reunion Party, 1960)
- What a Whopper (1961)-Mr. Slate
- The Fast Lady (1962)-old gentleman in burning house
- She'll Have to Go (1962)-Chemist
- Bootsie and Snudge TV series-Henry Johnson ' Old ' Beerbohm (29 episodes, 1961-1962)
- The Mouse on the Moon (1963)-Band leader
- It's a Square World TV series-various roles (1960-1964)
- You Must Be Joking! (1965)-Porter
- No Hiding Place Television series-Cyril Fernn (Afl., Run, Johnny, Run, 1965)
- Comedy Playhouse TV series-Elijah Jones (Afl., Judgement Day for Elijah Jones, 1966)
- The Son (Television film, 1966)-Monsieur Saminet
- Black mail TV series-Role unknown (Afl., The Man Who Could See, 1966)
- The Mini-Affair (1967)-Tyson
- Gentleman Jim (Television film, 1967)-Jim Bules
- Orlando Television series-Dai McClavish (4 episodes, 1967)
- The Avengers Television series-Martin (Afl., Something Nasty in the Nursery, 1967)
- Just Like a Woman (1968)-Graff von Fischer
- 30 Is a Dangerous Age, Cynthia (1968)-doctor
- The Bliss of Mrs. Blossom (1968)-Dr. Zimmerman
- The Ugliest Girl in Town TV series-Concierge (Afl., Popped Star, 1968)
- Inside George Webley TV series-Role unknown (unknown episodes, 1968)
- The World of Beachcomber TV series-various roles (unknown episodes, 1968)
- According to Dora TV series-various roles (1968-1969)
- Dad's Army (1968-1977)-Lance Corporal Jack Jones
- Crooks and Coro nets (1969)-Basil
- The Magic Christian (1969)-sommelier
- Here Come the Double Deckers! TV series-Hodge (Afl., Happy Haunting, 1970)
- My Old Man Television series-Sam Cobbett (13 episodes, Gr1974-1975)
- Dad's Army TV series-Lance Corporal Jack Jones (80 episodes, 1968-1977)
- Grandad TV series-Grandad (Charlie Quick) (1979-1984)
- The Fiendish Plot of Dr. Fu Manchu (1980)-Keeper of the Keys-London Tower
- Much Ado About Nothing (TV movie, 1984)-Verges