The music continues the musical tradition of the previous album, Hatebreeder, only with a more straight-forward direction. Much of the black metal and symphonic metal elements were present, mainly in the keyboards, vocals, and fast tempos, as well as a stronger emphasis on power metal. Many songs on the album end as live setlist favorites, such as "Everytime I Die", "Hate Me!" and the title track.
Follow the Reaper was recorded and mixed at Peter Tägtgren's Abyss studio in Sweden, instead of the Finnish Astia-studio from Anssi Kippo, in which they had recorded all of their previous releases, including the demos from IneartheD. On this album Children of Bodom used the D standard tuning (D,G,C,F,A,D), which was also used on their previous studio album, Hatebreeder.
A deluxe edition featuring two bonus tracks was released in 2006.
- "Follow the Reaper" – 3:47
- "Bodom After Midnight" – 3:43
- "Children of Decadence" – 5:34
- "Everytime I Die" – 4:03
- "Mask of Sanity" – 3:58
- "Taste of My Scythe" – 3:58
- "Hate Me!" – 4:44
- "Northern Comfort" – 3:48
- "Kissing the Shadows" – 4:32
- "Don't Stop at the Top" (Scorpions cover) – 3:24
All songs written and arranged by Alexi Laiho except: Don't Stop at the Top (written by Rudolph Schenker/Klaus Meine/Herman Rarebell), Shot in the Dark (written by Ozzy Osbourne and Phil Soussan), Hellion (written by Blackie Lawless), and Aces High (written by Steve Harris).
- Numerous versions of Follow the Reaper were released, each pressing with different bonus tracks.
- The album booklet contains the lyrics of "Everytime I Die", "Hate Me!" and "Kissing The Shadows".
Nuclear Blast Deluxe Edition Bonus Tracks
Re-release Bonus Tracks