Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
"I Can't Stand the Rain" is a song originally recorded by Ann Peebles, and written by Peebles, Don Bryant, and Bernard "Bernie" Miller. The song became Peebles' biggest hit when in 1973 it reached #38 on the US Pop Chart and #6 on the R&B/Black Chart. The single also reached #41 on the UK Pop Chart in April 1974. It was one of John Lennon's favorite songs and in a Billboard magazine article he commented, "It's the best song ever."
The song has been frequently covered since its 1973 release.
- Humble Pie recorded the song on their 1974 album Thunderbox.
- Ronnie Wood covered the song in 1975 on his album Now Look.
- Graham Central Station covered the song on their 1975 album Ain't No 'Bout-A-Doubt It.
- Lowell George covered the song on his 1979 album Thanks, I'll Eat it Here.
- The song was included in the 1991 feature film, The Commitments, and its subsequent soundtrack.
- The song was covered by Bad Manners on their 1993 album Fat Sound.
- Cassandra Wilson's 1993 album Blue Light 'til Dawn contained a version of the track which received mixed reviews. John Milward of Rolling Stone called it "skeletal" and not as strong as the original. In contrast, Ron Wynn of AllMusic liked Wilson's version, saying that it holds up to comparisons of Peebles' version.
- Missy Elliott's 1997 debut single, "The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly)", contains a sample from Ann Peebles' original recording of the song in its chorus.
- Michael Bolton covered the song on his 1999 album Timeless: The Classics Vol. 2.
- Terry Manning added a live version of the song to the 2006 CD re-release of his album Home Sweet Home.
- In 2006 R&B singer, Miki Howard recorded a cover version which appears on her album Pillow Talk.
- A version of the song appears on Sam Moore's 2006 album, Overnight Sensational with Wynonna, Bekka Bramlett, BeBe Winans and Billy Preston.
- Dale Ann Bradley recorded a Bluegrass version of the song on her 2006 album Catch Tomorrow.
- In August 2007, Guy Sebastian recorded a tribute version of "I Can't Stand the Rain" at Ardent Studios in Memphis, Tennessee for his album of soul classics, The Memphis Album, with many of the original Stax music band members, including Steve Cropper, Donald Duck Dunn, Lester Snell, Steve Potts.
- Seal recorded a version of the song for his 2008 album Soul.
- Willie Clayton recorded it on his 2008 album Soul and Blues.
- In 2010, German classical bass-baritone Thomas Quasthoff recorded a version for his crossover album Tell It Like It Is.
- In 2012, The Flashbulb remixed this song to "The History Of Rain" on the album Opus at the End of Everything.