Jarrett William Sorko (born July 28, 1991) is a Canadian comedian, musician and internet celebrity. Jarrett released the song "Yo, I'm From Windsor Dude" in March 2011. As a result, Jarrett received major press coverage in his hometown of Windsor, Ontario drawing attention to both the city and himself. Jarrett is known for his rap music and stand-up comedy.
Personal life Edit
Jarrett Sorko attended Catholic Central High School in Windsor, Ontario. While at this school Jarrett achieved honour roll all four of his years and graduated at the top of his class. He was also very influenced by art and had his art on display in different galleries and museums. With high grades Jarrett was able to pursue both architecture and art at the University of Windsor for a year before dropping out to follow other creative inspiration.
In March 2011 Jarrett released his first recorded song "Yo, I'm From Windsor Dude" on YouTube and it became viral overnight. Many radio stations, newspapers and TV outlets picked it up. Jarrett helped put Windsor, Ontario on the maps with his viral video that reached over 40,000 views in the first few days. Jarrett took a few years off to work on his writing and musical craft. Three years later on the anniversary of uploading "Yo, I'm From Windsor Dude" Jarrett released a new song celebrating the success of his first viral video and his city called "519" which attracted attention from many of the same media outlets.
In 2011 Jarrett began performing comedy at local comedy clubs. After the overnight success of his "Yo, I'm From Windsor Dude" song Jarrett began incorporating music into his stand-up act. Jarrett's act revolves around self-deprecation, satire and wordplay.
Jarrett's musical career began in 2011 with the release of "Yo, I'm From Windsor Dude". Jarrett says he was just experimenting with recording equipment for the first time and didn't anticipate the overnight success of the video, so he took 3 years off to learn how to properly record music. On April 20, 2014 Jarrett returned to making music with the release of his EP Jarrett Sorko 4 Mayor. The EP cleverly combines both music and comedy through rap songs and skits.
- ↑ Windsor musician releases yet another viral tune about the Rose City. Retrieved on April 23, 2014.
- ↑ Lajoie, Don. Yo, yo, yo... rap goes viral. Retrieved on April 23, 2014.
- ↑ Yo, I'm From Windsor Dude. Retrieved on April 23, 2014.
- ↑ John, Nancy. Art for Aids. Retrieved on November 20, 2011.
- ↑ Rebecca Black is so last Friday. Windsor's Jarrett Sorko goes viral. Retrieved on April 23, 2014.
- ↑ Lock, Keith. Windsor Rap Song. Retrieved on November 20, 2011.
- ↑ Fox, Alyshia. Yo, I'm From Windsor Dude. Retrieved on November 20, 2011.
- ↑ Jarrett Sorko releases new song about Windsor. Retrieved on April 23, 2014.
- ↑ Wolter, Owen. Original Viral Video Maker Releases New Song About Windsor. Retrieved on April 22, 2014.
- ↑ Kristy, Dylan. Windsor rapper's latest lament: I'm Poor. Retrieved on April 23, 2014.
- ↑ Ryan, Morgan. New Windsor Rap: 519 by Jarrett Sorko. Retrieved on April 23, 2014.
- ↑ Haddon, Josh. Sing Loud, Sing Proud, Again. Retrieved on April 23, 2014.
- ↑ Sinasac, Amanda. Comedian and Musician Jarrett Sorko Returns With New EP. Retrieved on April 22, 2014.
- ↑ Sorko, Jarrett. Jarrett Sorko 4 Mayor. Retrieved on April 22, 2014.