"Magic" is a hit 1980 song performed by Olivia Newton-John, from the soundtrack to the film Xanadu. The song was #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 charts for four weeks beginning on August 2, 1980. It also reached a high of #4 on the Australian charts and #32 in the UK. The B-sides depend on the label: "Fool Country" (also from Xanadu but not on the OST) is the B-side of the MCA release; "Whenever You're Away From Me" (with Gene Kelly) is the B-side of the Jet release.
- 2 Formats and track listings
- 3 Charts
- 4 2011 version
- 5 Covers
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
"Magic" became Newton-John's biggest Adult Contemporary hit to date, and her biggest pop hit until "Physical" ruled the Hot 100 for ten weeks beginning in November 1981. Billboard magazine ranked "Magic" as the third most popular single of 1980, behind only "Call Me" by Blondie and "Another Brick in the Wall, Part II" by Pink Floyd.
- MCA vinyl single
- "Magic" – 4:25
- "Fool Country" – 2:29
- Jet vinyl single
- "Magic" – 4:25
- "Whenever You're Away From Me" – 4:22
|Australia (KMP) Singles Chart||4|
|Austrian Singles Chart||20|
|Canadian Singles Chart||1|
|German Singles Chart||36|
|Japanese (Oricon) Singles Chart||43|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||4|
|Swedish Singles Chart||12|
|UK Singles Chart||32|
|US Billboard Hot 100||1|
|US BillboardAdult Contemporary||1|
|US Cash Box Top 100||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||3|
|"Magic (Peach & Murphy remix)"|
|Single by Olivia Newton-John|
|Released||May 22, 2011|
|Producer(s)||Dan Murphy, Steve Peach|
|Olivia Newton-John singles chronology|
"Magic (Peach & Murphy remix)" is a new remix of 1980 song. In May 2011 the song has been remixed by two Australians - DJ Dan Murphy and Steve Peach - to create a brand new dance version of the song. Olivia went back to the studio to re-sing the vocals and the new version is uplifting and very radio-friendly. The version was sponsored by WACCI, a humanitarian group.
Everybody working on this project has volunteered their time and talent, all proceeds are being donated to Olivia's charity, the Olivia Newton-John Cancer and Wellness Centre.
A video was shot for the new remix in Sydney, Australia, in an attempt to break the Guinness Book World Record for largest cast in a music video by featuring 350 people, Newton-John does not appear. The video is directed by DJ Dan Murphy.
|Australia (ARIA) Singles Chart||79|
|Australia (ARIA) Australian Singles Chart||10|
|Australia (ARIA) Dance Chart||19|
- A new version of the song by Stimulator is used in commercials for Macy's. This cover was also used in the film Ella Enchanted and appeared on thefilm's soundtrack.
- Swedish singer Sanna Nielsen recorded a cover of the song on her 2008 album Stronger.
- The song also performed on the musical version of Xanadu.
- The song briefly appears during Glee's first season finale, "Journey to Regionals", when a school show choir performs a mash-up of Olivia Newton-John's "Magic" and Josh Groban's "You Raise Me Up". The two also appear as judges in that episode.
- Another updated version of the song was performed by Meaghan Jette Martin for the Disney Channel Original Movie Wizards of Waverly Place: The Movie. It was subsequently included on the TV series and movie's soundtrack album.
- A cover by Louise Tollson appears in the film Gas Food Lodging.