"Tunnels" was the band's first single, released several months before the album as a 7" vinyl record on June 20, 2004, to a pressing of 1500 copies. The B-side to the album is a recording of the song "My Buddy" by swing musician Alvino Rey. Rey is the maternal grandfather of Arcade Fire members Win andWilliam Butler.
In August 2009, the song was named #10 on Pitchfork Media's "Top 500 Tracks of the 2000s". In a 2012 Beats Per Minute (website) article on The Essential Arcade Fire, it was named the band's most essential track by writer Lucien Flores.  Flores writes, "'Tunnels' has all the elements of a great Arcade Fire song: a head-bobbing rhythm section, lyrics that harken back to an imperfect past, a seamless blend of instruments, and a cathartic coda." It is also the highest rated single of the 2000s on popular music ratings website rateyourmusic.com.
- "Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)" - 4:48
- "My Buddy" (Alvino Rey Orchestra, live radio broadcast, 1940) - 2:32
- Win Butler - vocals, Jaguar Electric Guitar
- Regine Chassagne - backing vocals, drums
- Richard Reed Parry - piano, backing vocals, organ, engineer, recording
- Tim Kingsbury - bass, backing vocals
- Howard Bilerman - Electric Guitar, engineer, recording
- Will Butler - percussion, backing vocals