Cover art by Travis Smith
|Studio album by Opeth|
|Released||August 25, 2014|
Pale Communion is the eleventh studio album by Swedish heavy metal band Opeth. The album was released on 25 August 2014 through Roadrunner Records. The album was produced by Mikael Åkerfeldt and mixed by Steven Wilson. Pale Communion is the first album with keyboardist Joakim Svalberg after the departure of Per Wiberg in 2011.
Mikael Åkerfeldt said of the album, "I wanted to do something more melodic with this album, so there's stronger vocal melodies and more melodies overall for this album." Greg Kennelty of Metal Injection said the album does not contain "growls or death metal vocals". He also described the album as "the missing link between Damnation and Ghost Reveries or if Heritage was written directly after Ghost Reveries without Watershed having ever existed."
The cover art was designed by Travis Smith, who has designed several previous Opeth album covers. The artwork contains Latin text. The left panel quotes Axel Oxenstierna: "Don't you know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?" (An nesci, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?). The middle panel quotes Terence: "In these days friends are won through flattery, the truth gives birth to hate." (Hoc tempore obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit, Andria, vv. 67-68). The right panel quotes Marcus Valerius Martialis: "He grieves truly who grieves without a witness." (Ille dolet vere qui sine teste dolet, Epigrammata, I, 33).
Track listingEditAll songs written and composed by Mikael Åkerfeldt, except where noted.
|1.||"Eternal Rains Will Come"||6:48|
|2.||"Cusp of Eternity"||5:35|
|3.||"Moon Above, Sun Below"||10:52|
|7.||"Voice of Treason"||8:00|
|8.||"Faith in Others"||7:39|
|9.||"Solitude" (live) (special edition bonus track) (Black Sabbath cover)||5:56|
|10.||"Var kommer barnen in" (live) (special edition bonus track) (Hansson de Wolfe United cover)||5:52|
- Mikael Åkerfeldt – vocals, guitar, production, art direction, engineering
- Fredrik Åkesson – guitar, backing vocals
- Joakim Svalberg – piano, keyboard, backing vocals
- Martín Méndez – bass guitar
- Martin Axenrot – drums, percussion
- Additional personnel
- Dave Stewart – string arrangements
- Tom Dalgety – engineering, production
- Janne Hansson – engineering
- Steven Wilson – mixing, backing vocals
- Paschal Byrne – mastering
- Travis Smith – cover art
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ OPETH Album Officially Pushed Back To August. Metal Injection (8 May 2014). Retrieved on May 8, 2014.
- ↑ Opeth's "Pale Communion" Coming June 17. Roadrunner Records (7 April 2014). Retrieved on April 8, 2014.
- ↑ Dick, Jonathan (21 March 2014). Opeth Started from the Bottom, Now They're Here. Vice. Retrieved on April 8, 2014.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Kennelty, Greg (27 March 2014). First Impressions of the New Untitled OPETH Album, A Track-By-Track Review. metalinjection.net. Retrieved on April 8, 2014.
- ↑ OPETH Pale Communion Album Art Revealed!. Metal Injection (27 May 2014). Retrieved on May 27, 2014.