Placebo is a alternatieverock-/glamrockband from the United Kingdom, consisting of the American-Scottish singer-guitarist Brian Molko, Stefan Olsdal the Swedish bassist and the American drummer Steve Forrest.
- 2 Occupation
- 3 discography
- 4 Charts
- 5 external link
Placebo was established in 1994 in London, but has its roots in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, where singer/guitarist Brian Molko and guitarist/bassist Stefan Olsdal at an international boarding school. The two had not as much with each other.
At the age of 17 left Molko to London. He went on to study at the Goldsmiths Academystage. During the same period he comes Olsdal again. Together with their common friend Robert Schulzberg they decide to start a band, which they call Ashtray Heart . Later, the band was renamed to Placebo and in 1997, drummer Steve Hewitt Schulzberg replaced by.
In 1995, the first single, Bruise Pristine, out, under the independent label Fierce Panda Records. As a result, the band gets many offers from other labels, and in February 1996 on the label Come Home fromDeceptive Records. In 1996 the Group at Hut Recordings, and end up some demos with David Bowie, who is so impressed by the material he attracts as the trio for his own performances. That year, Steve returned to the Group and the album debut of Placebo, which is also called Placebo . The group is slowly more famous, partly due to the androgynous attitude of Molko. Also about his sexual orientation is plenty of speculation.
In 1997 the band the first major success with the single Nancy Boy who comes in fourth place in the UK charts, and a hit is in the alternative music scene of the European mainland.
The second album, Without You I'm Nothing, comes out in 1998, and is preceded by the singles Pure Morning (at number 4 in England) and You Don't Care About Us (at number 5 in England). The album gets good reviews, mainly due to the personal, cynical lyrics of Brian. The band plays in the glamrockfilm a modest film Velvet Goldmine .
In 2000, Black Market Music comes from, which is also well received and the singles Special K, black-eyed and Slave To The Wage are modest hits.
In 2003 appears sleeping With Ghosts. On this album seems to do it easy to Placebo and form the numbers a coherent whole. Nevertheless, the music typical of Placebo. The singles released from the album, This Picture, Special Needs, The Bitter End and a remix of English Summer Rain. The album also appears in edition' a ' limited-edition with a bonus cd which covers that Placebo has included over the years have been gathered. Placebo plays this inter alia by The Smiths, Pixies and Sinéad O'Connor. In 2004 there was also a compilation album and dvd entitled Once more with feeling with the singles from 1996 and two new songs: I Do and Twenty Years.
Their fifth album Meds appeared in March 2006 and was generally well received. The band themselves regarded this as their best album and claims in addition also that they return to their roots with this album, namely solid rock, as their first two albums. Though there are also a few quiet songs on, such as "Pierrot The Clown" and "Follow The Cops Back Home". Among fans made this album for some turmoil, as the motto of the record, ' The Death Of Nancy Boy ' was, which meant that Placebo in this album their riotous, androgynous image of trying to shake off, while Placebo actually especially known for that. It ensured in part for their growing popularity in the 1990s. The group released four singles from the album. "Because I Want You" was released simultaneously with "Song To Say Goodbye", respectively, in Great Britain and in the rest of the world. The third single was "Infra-Red". ' Meds ' was the last single, a song in collaboration with VV of The Kills, also a good friend of Brian Molko.
In October 2007 it was announced that drummer Steve Hewitt left Placebo went after eleven years playing drums. The reason for this is that the band and Hewitt drifted apart. Placebo announced in August 2008 to to have found a new drummer, the American Steve Forrest. Forrest comes from the Californian punk band Alexander remaining in the Act for Placebo. It was also in that same month known that Placebo was recording a new album.
It was the band's sixth album Battle for the Sun. According to Molko, this is the first album that tells a story in its entirety. A positive story, about the choice to embrace life. The album was released on June 8, 2009.The group released four singles: "For What it's Worth ', ' The Never Ending Why ', ' Ashtray Heart ' and ' Bright Lights '.
In 2013, the seventh Studio album by the band, Loud Like Love. This album was preceded by the single ' Too Many Friends ".
- Brian Molko (vocals/guitar) 1994-present
- Stefan Olsdal (bass/guitar/keys) 1994-present
- Steve Forrest (drums) 2007-present
- Fiona Brice (violin/keys) 2005-present
Former band members
- Placebo (cd, lp, Compact cassette /1996)
- Without You I'm Nothing (cd, lp, MD, MC/1998)
- Without You I'm Nothing (Australia double cd tour edition/1998)
- Black Market Music (cd, lp, MD, MC/2000)
- Sleeping With Ghosts (cd, lp, MC/2003)
- Sleeping With Ghosts (special edition 2 cd) (cd/2003)
- Once more with feeling (cd, 2xlp/2004) (compilation album)
- Meds (cd, lp, MC, 13/03/2006)
- Meds (2 cd, special Edition)
- Covers (iTunes /05/03/2007)
- Battle for the Sun (2009)
- Loud Like Love (2013)
- Soulmates Never Die: Live in Paris 2003 (dvd/2004)
- Once more with feeling Videos 1996-2004 (dvd/2004)
- We Come in Pieces (dvd, Blu-Ray/2011)
- Bruise Pristine (UK limited edition 2-track 7 "/1995)
- Come Home (cd, 7 "/1996)
- 36 degrees (cd, 7 "/1996)
- Teenage Anxiety (cd, 2 x 7 "/1996)
- Nancy Boy (cd, 7 "/1997)
- Nancy Boy (Japan Only 7-track mini album/1997)
- Bruise Pristine (2xcd, 7 ", MC/1997)
- Pure Morning (2xcd, MC/1998)
- You Don't Care About Us (2xcd, MC/1998)
- Every you every me (2xcd, MC/1999)
- Without You I'm Nothing (cd/1999)
- Burger Queen Français (cd/1999)
- Taste In Men (2xcd, 12 ", MC/2000)
- Slave To The Wage (2xcd, 12 ", MC/2000)
- Special K (cd, 12 "/2001) cf.: Special K/Ketamine
- Special K (Australia Only 5-track cd single/2001)
- Black Eyed (cd/2001)
- The Bitter End (2xcd, 7 "/2003)
- This Picture (cd, dvd, 7 "/2003)
- This Picture (Australia Only 5-track cd single/2003)
- Special Needs (cd, dvd, 7 "/2003)
- English Summer Rain (2xcd, 7 "/2004)
- Protège-moi (France Only cd, dvd/2004)
- Twenty Years (2xcd, 7 "/2004)
- Because I Want You (cd, 7 "/2006)
- Song To Say Goodbye (cd, 7 "/2006)
- Infra-red (cd/2006)
- Meds / Space Monkey (remix) (cd/2006)
- For What it's Worth (cd, 7 ", digital download/2009)
- The Never-ending Why (cd, digital download, 2009)
- Ashtray Heart (cd, digital download, 2009)
- Bright Lights (cd, digital download/2010)
- Too Many Friends (cd, digital download/2013)
- Aystrea Hearts (promo 1995)
- Demo tape part one (MC/1995)
- Demo tape part two (MC/1995)
- Collector (1997)
|Album (s) with any charts in the
the Dutch Album Top 100
|Without you I'm nothing||09-10-1998||31-10-1998||51||11|
|Black market music||06-10-2000||21-10-2000||28||5|
|Sleeping with ghosts||24-03-2003||29-03-2003||19||15|
|Once more with feeling-Singles 1996-2004||24-10-2004||30-10-2004||66||3||Compilation album|
|Battle for the Sun||2009||13-06-2009||5||19|
|Loud Like Love||09-2013||14-09-2013||7||8|
|Album (s) with chart positions in
the Flemish Ultratop 50
|Without you I'm nothing||1998||24-10-1998||26||3|
|Black market music||2000||21-10-2000||10||6|
|Sleeping with ghosts||2003||29-03-2003||4||28|
|Once more with feeling-Singles 1996-2004||2004||30-10-2004||5||27||Compilation album|
|Meds||2006||18-03-2006||1 (2 wk)||37|
|Battle for the Sun||05-06-2009||13-06-2009||1 (1wk)||33 *||Gold|
|Single (s) with chart positions
in the Flemish Ultratop 50
|Burger queen Français||2000||15-01-2000||tip13||-|
|The bitter end||2003||22-03-2003||tip15||-|
|Song to say goodbye||24-02-2006||15-04-2006||49||1|
|For what it's worth||20-04-2009||13-06-2009||23||7|
|The never-ending why||2009||12-12-2009||tip13||-|
|Too many friends||2013||20-07-2013||46||1 *|
|DVDs with the Dutch Music charts in the Top 30||Date of
|We come in pieces||2011||05-11-2011||8||2|