"Search and Destroy" is a song by American rock band The Stooges, recorded for the group's third album Raw Power (1973). Lead singer Iggy Popsaid that the title is from a column heading in a Time article about the Vietnam War. In 1997, "Search and Destroy" along with the rest of the songs on Raw Power were remixed and remastered by Iggy Pop and Bruce Dickinson. The result was far more aggressive and stripped down than the original release, which had been mixed by David Bowie. In 2004, Rolling Stone ranked it #468 on their list of "The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time". In 2009 it was named the 49th best hard rock song of all time by VH1.
- In the films Almost Famous, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, and Haggard: The Movie.
- In the sixth season of the television series Dexter during the episode "Nebraska," as well as in the final season of Lost during the episode "The Substitute", and in the first episode of season 2 of "The Wire."
- As part of a 'blood, sweat and vomit' Nike Air ad campaign during the 1996 Summer Olympics.
- A cover version is featured in the video game Guitar Hero II.
- "Search and Destroy" was the name of an influential late 1970s punk magazine based out of San Francisco.
- Henry Rollins has a large tattoo on his back of an image with large text reading "Search & Destroy."
- Skunk Anansie's version is featured in the film Sucker Punch.
- Emanuel's cover appears in the video game Tony Hawk's American Wasteland.
- It has been covered by Bernie Torme, Black Light Burns, Cursed, The Dead Boys, Def Leppard, The Dictators, Emanuel, EMF, Everclear, The Hives, Impaler, Kid Loco, LaFaro, Mai Kadowaki,Peaches, Pearl Jam with Mudhoney, Metallica, Radio Birdman, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Ridge Route Romeos, Rocket from the Tombs, Samiam, Sex Pistols, Shotgun Messiah, Sid Vicious,Skunk Anansie, Soundgarden, Tales of Terror, Terveet Kädet, Turbonegro, UFX, Verdena, You Am I, La Perrera and Sex Sex Sex.