Shine On is a 1992 nine-CD box set by Pink Floyd which was released through EMI Records in the United Kingdom and Columbia Records in the United States to coincide with Pink Floyd's 25th anniversary as a recording and touring band. All CDs were digitally remastered.
- 2 Production
- 3 References
The eight albums included in this box set are:
- A Saucerful of Secrets
- The Dark Side of the Moon
- Wish You Were Here
- The Wall (double album)
- A Momentary Lapse of Reason
- The Early Singles (bonus CD not available elsewhere)
Refer to original albums for track lists, personnel lists, and production credits.
The packaging on each of the previously released albums was unique to this set. The spines of the eight black CD cases lined up to show the prism from The Dark Side of the Moon.
Included with the box set was a hardcover book chronicling the career of Pink Floyd from its inception to the late 1980s and an envelope of postcards depicting artwork from the included seven albums and the cover of the set itself.
As the collection was meant to showcase the best of Pink Floyd, the decision was made to not include the soundtrack albums More or Obscured by Clouds, or the albums Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother and The Final Cut . The band's first album, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn was not included, as at the time EMI were planning to release a special edition of the album, and it was hoped that new fans would buy both this set and the re-released debut.
According to drummer Nick Mason, a suggestion for the title of the box set was The Big Bong Theory. David Gilmour said calling the box set Shine On was not a bowing out retirement box set but a continuation.[clarification needed]
- "Arnold Layne" (Syd Barrett) – 2:57
- "Candy and a Currant Bun" (Barrett) – 2:47
- "See Emily Play" (Barrett) – 2:54
- "Scarecrow" (Barrett) – 2:10
- "Apples and Oranges" (Barrett) – 3:08
- "Paint Box" (Richard Wright) – 3:47
- "It Would Be So Nice" (Wright) – 3:46
- "Julia Dream" (Roger Waters) – 2:35
- "Point Me at the Sky" (Waters, David Gilmour) – 3:35
- "Careful with That Axe, Eugene" (Gilmour, Waters, Wright, Nick Mason) – 5:44
- 1, 2: 11 March 1967
- 3, 4: 17 June 1967
- 5, 6: 18 November 1967
- 7, 8: 13 April 1968
- 9, 10: 7 December 1968
- Syd Barrett – guitar on 1 to 6; vocals on 1 to 5; backing vocals on 6
- David Gilmour – guitar on 7 to 10; vocals on 8, 9, 10; backing vocals on 7
- Nick Mason – drums, percussion
- Roger Waters – bass guitar; vocals on 9, 10; backing vocals on 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Richard Wright – piano; organ; mellotron on 7, 8; vibraphone on 10; vocals on 6, 7; backing vocals on 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9