Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Faceless is an American technical death metal band from the Encino neighborhood of Los Angeles, California.
The band was formed in Encino by guitarist Michael Keene and bassist Brandon Giffin in 2004. In the winter of 2005, the band began work on a four-song extended-play album which would become Akeldama. After recording the drum tracks, drummer Brett Batdorf left the band. After a break in the recording process, the band decided to make the EP into a full–length record and recruited several drummers to finish the drum tracks for the remaining songs.
Following the release of Akeldama, the band toured extensively with bands including Necrophagist, Decapitated, Nile, and The Black Dahlia Murder. The band went through several fill-in drummers before adding drummer Lyle Cooper to their line-up.
Planetary Duality débuted at number 119 on the Billboard 200. The album was critically acclaimed and brought the band a new level of success.
Soon after its release, they toured with bands including Meshuggah, Lamb of God and In Flames. Prior to their performance at California Metalfest IV, Giffin announced that he would no longer be in the band. The band also announced that they would be playing in The Summer Slaughter Tour of 2010 along with bands including Decapitated, All Shall Perish, and Decrepit Birth.
In May 2011, Keene confirmed via Facebook that Geoffrey Ficco would be replacing Derek Rydquist as the band’s vocalist. Ficco performed the lead vocals on “The Eidolon Reality” pre-production preview track released on YouTube. In April 2011, the band was joined by bassist Evan Brewer of Animosity, replacing Giffin.
In March 2012, guitarist Steve Jones left the band and was replaced by Wes Hauch, leaving Keene as the last founding member still in the band. Keene stated that “he’s moved in a different direction than us and we wish him good luck in his ventures.” Keene has also stated that the addition of Hauch gave the band some fresh energy, praising Hauch to be “one of the finest guitar players I’ve ever had the privilege of playing with, he’s really amazing.” Keene wrote Autotheism almost entirely while being the only member of the band, with the exception of track "Ten Billion Years" which was brought to the table by Wes Hauch and rewritten together between Hauch and Keene, keeping a large portion of Hauch's original arrangement with some Faceless signature elements added. Autotheism débuted at number 50 on the Billboard 200 and hit number 1 on CMJ radio loud rock charts.
In January 2013, Cooper left the band, and posted on his Facebook module regarding his departure; he claimed that the band’s goals and interests were not his own. Alex Rüdinger, formerly of The HAARP Machine, a labelmate of The Faceless, became the band’s new full-time drummer.
On February 14, 2014, Wes Hauch announced he was leaving the band.
On October 20, 2014, both Evan Brewer and Alex Rüdinger announced on their personal Facebook pages that they were leaving the band to pursue other projects. On December 4, 2014, vocalist Geoffrey Ficco announced his departure from the band, leaving Keene as the sole remaining member of the band.
On February 25, 2015, The Faceless announced Justin McKinney (of The Zenith Passage) as the band's new rhythm guitarist via Facebook.
On April 12, 2015, Michael Keene announced the return of founding member and bassist Brandon Giffin, who will appear on the band's next album tentatively titled, "In Becoming a Ghost". "I am so extremely excited to announce Brandon Giffin on our new record. For those who don't know, Brandon is the original bassist of The Faceless and played on Akeldama and Planetary Duality and then took some time off from touring, followed by touring as the sessions bassist for prog legends Cynic for several years. We formed the band together when we were in high school and I am so happy to be collaborating with him again. Brandon is like a brother to me and he's like my musical soul mate. Brandon will be playing on the new record, which is tentatively titled "In Becoming a Ghost" and playing as many shows as possible with us. Due to life circumstances, he may not be able to always make every tour with us, but he is an official collaborator in The Faceless again and will be playing whatever shows he can with us. I couldn't be happier about this. More exciting member announcements coming soon!"
On September 28, 2015, The Faceless shared a new song titled: "The Spiraling Void", announced a U.S. tour, and also confirmed via Facebook, the return of long time vocalist Derek "Demon Carcass" Rydquist.
On March 24, 2016, The Faceless had to drop off from the Between the Buried and Me / August Burns Red tour because the vocalist backed out and would not performing with the band on the tour. Although, his other full time band did not feel comfortable for him touring in another group, and he wanted to respect their wishes.
- Akeldama (Sumerian Records, 2006)
- Planetary Duality (Sumerian Records, 2008)
- Autotheism (Sumerian Records, 2012)
- In Becoming a Ghost (Sumerian Records, 2016)
- Demo albums
- Nightmare Fest (2006)
- List of bands from Los Angeles
- List of progressive metal bands
- List of Sumerian Records artists
- List of technical death metal bands
- Music of Los Angeles
- ↑ Staff (November 17, 2006). All Shall Perish, Arsis, and The Faceless Metal Maniacs Tour Show Review. Metal Injection.
- ↑ Staff (undated). The Faceless: ‘Planetary Duality’ First-Week Sales Revealed- Nov. 19, 2008. Blabbermouth.net.
- ↑ Staff (May 14, 2010). The Faceless Bass Player Quits Group. Lambgoat.
- ↑ Staff (May 20, 2010). [untitled]. The Faceless (via their Facebook module). ““So, as some of you may have heard, Derek is no longer in The Faceless. We wish him the best of luck and will always value the time he spent in our band. Our new vocalist’s name is Geoffrey Ficco and he is truly a beast! If you’ve heard our demo for ‘The Eidolon Reality’ than you’ve already heard his punishing vocals ;) Surprise!”- Keene”
- ↑ Staff (undated). “The Faceless Announces New Bassist- Apr. 7, 2011”. Blabbermouth.net.
- ↑ Lyle Cooper Leaving The Faceless. Lyle Cooper (via his Facebook module).
- ↑ Staff (January 28, 2013). [untitled]. The Faceless (via their Facebook module). “To clear the air on a few details, The Faceless has decided to part ways with drummer Lyle Cooper due to a growing difference in the level of commitment to the project. We wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors and we’re sure he’ll continue to be successful with music. Having said that, we are very excited to announce that Alex Rudinger is our new full time drummer. We just played our first 3 shows with him in Mexico and what he brings to the band both musically and personally, is simply astounding. We are looking forward to a great future with Alex.” The Faceless was design by Juan Franco Art in 2007
- ↑ Guitarist Wes Hauch Leaves THE FACELESS, To Join Reactivated GLASS CASKET. Metal Injection.
- ↑ Alex Rudinger - After much thought I've decided that it is... - Facebook. facebook.com.
- ↑ Evan Brewer - After almost four years of good times with... - Facebook. facebook.com.
- ↑ The Faceless vocalist Geoff Ficco quits band. lambgoat.com.
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Zj9LpJK8Y
- ↑ https://www.facebook.com/thefaceless/posts/10153128611431074
- ↑ THE FACELESS Drop Off BTBAM Tour, Cancel Headlining Tour Dates. Metal Injection (2016-03-04). Retrieved on March 7, 2016.