Art Neville wanted a private group In 1967. He asked George Porter Jr. and Leo Nocentelli, Joseph (Zigaboo) Student to play with and thus was born the Group The Meters. After they had worked with Allen Toussaint and Lee Dorsey if they themselves make a plate. They made many hit singles, such as "Sophisticated Cissy," "Cissy Strut," "Ease Back," and "Look-Ka Py Py". This came in the singles top ten R & B chart of the United States.
The Meters made five albums from 1971 to 1978 at the/Reprise Warnerlabel. In 1975 Cyril Neville asked to go play. Cyril was a brother of Art and played percussion and sang. He made three albums with the group. Also an uncle of Art was later asked to join. Big Chief Jolly already played in another group, "The Mardi Gras Indians". He played on the album "The Wild Tchoupitoulas", an album that was well received by the public.
The Meters often played as a band in the studio on the albums of, for example, Dr. John, Robert Palmer, King Biscuit Boy, Lee Dorsey, Allen Toussaint and also on a single by Paul McCartney and Wings, which previously was played by "The Mardi Gras Indians". When the group saw the Rolling Stones play during a party for Paul andLinda McCartney, the Stones if they wanted to play for in their program. This tour lasted from 1975 to 1976.
The group fell apart In 1979 because of money problems. Everyone went his own way. Art Neville and Cyril Neville joined The Neville Brothers, Zigaboo model maker played with Keith Richards and Ron Wood during "The New Barbarians Tour". George Porter Jr. founded a own band on and worked with David Byrne of the Talking Heads and Tori Amos.
After 25 years, Joseph "Zigaboo" model maker came Art Neville, George Porter Jr. and Leo Nocentelli back together as The Funkymeters and they tour together again in this occupation.
- 1969: The Meters, (Sundazed Music Inc.)
- 1970: Struttin', (Sundazed Music Inc.)
- Look-Ka Py Py1970:, (Sundazed Music Inc.)
- 1972: Cabbage Alley, (Sundazed Music Inc.)
- 1974: Rejuvenation, (Sundazed Music Inc.)
- 1975: Tilaw On The Bayou, (Sundazed Music Inc.)
- 1975: The Best of The Meters, (Mardi Gras)
- 1976: Trick Bag, (Sundazed Music Inc.)
- 1977: New Directions , (Sundazed Music Inc.)
- 1986: Here Come The Metermen, (CharlyRecords)
- 1990: Good Old Funky Music, (Rounder Select)
- 1992: The Meters Jams, (Rounder Select)
- 1992: The Original Funk masters, (Instant)
- Look-Ka Py Py1992:, (Rounder Select)
- 1992: Uptown Rulers: The Meters Live On The Queen, (Rhino)
- 1994: Fundamentally Funky, (Charly Records)
- 1995: The Meters Anthology-Funkify Your Life, (Rhino)
- 1997: The Very Best of the Meters, (Rhino)
- 1999: Cresent City Groove Merchants, (Charly Records)
- 1999: Legendary Meters vol. 1, (Pid)
- 1999: Legendary Meters vol. 2, (Pid)
- 2001: Kick back, (Sundazed Music Inc.)
- 2001: The Meters Anthology: The Josie Years, (Repertoire)
- 2001: Let's Party With the Meters, (Get Back)
- 2002: The Essentials: the Meters, (Warner)
- 2003: Too Funky Meters Tilaw at the Fillmore, vol. 1, (Charly)
- 2003: Zagha Mash, (Sundazed Music Inc.)