The Piper at the Gates of Dawn is the debut album by the British progressive rock band Pink Floyd. The album was released on August 5, 1967. 8 out of 11 songs written by Syd Barrett. In 1994 the album was released only on CD. In 1997 because of the 30th anniversary of the plate a special good sounding mono version (limited edition). In september 2007 the Piper-3 CD-Box because of the 40th anniversary of the album. In addition to a stereo and a mono version, there is a third cd with the first three singles plus b-sides of the Group (except the b-side "Scarecrow" that are already on the album) and some interesting surprises, including the stereo mix of "Apples and Oranges".
All songs written by Syd Barrett, except where indicated.
|The Piper at the Gates of Dawn|
|1.||Astronomy Domine||4: 12|
|2.||Lucifer Sam||3: 09 am|
|3.||Matilda Mother||3: 09 am|
|5.||Pow R. Toc H. (Barrett, Waters, Wright, Mason)||4: 28|
|6.||Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk (Waters)||3: 08|
|7.||Interstellar Overdrive (Barrett, Waters, Wright, Mason)||9: 43|
|8.||The Gnome||2: 15|
|9.||Chapter 24||3: 44|
|11.||Bike||3: 24 am|
- Syd Barrett -vocals, guitar
- Roger Waters -bass guitar, vocals
- Richard Wright -keyboards, vocals
- Nick Mason -drums
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, portrayed by Paul Bransom in theAmerican Edition of The wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame from1913*The title "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" refers to the title of the seventh chapter of The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame.
- The title, and largely the lyrics, from "Chapter 24" come from Chapter 24 of the I ching. Chapter 24 is called in the book ' Fu ', which change/success means. (Think of lyric: "Change return success, action brings good fortune")
- "Lucifer Sam" was originally called "Percy the Rat catcher". Percy was the cat's Syd. Jennifer Gentle from this number refers to a girlfriend of Syd, Jenny Spires. Also in this issue and reuse of texts from the "I Ching" book.
- For "Matilda Mother" las "Cautionary Tales" texts for Syd literally from Hillaire Belloc, a kinderversenboek of. However when it became clear that Pink Floyd are not allowed to put this on the album has got Syd written his own version.
- ' Dan Dare ' as sung in "Astronomy Domine" refers to a cartoon character.
- "Pow r. Toc h." became as "The Pink Jungle" played during "The Man and the Journey"-concerts.
- The song "Take up Thy Stethoscope and Walk" is the first Roger Waters-number recorded.