Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn is the debut album by the British progressive rock band Pink Floyd. The album was released on August 5, 1967. 8 out of 11 songs written by Syd Barrett. In 1994 the album was released only on CD. In 1997 because of the 30th anniversary of the plate a special good sounding mono version (limited edition). In september 2007 the Piper-3 CD-Box because of the 40th anniversary of the album. In addition to a stereo and a mono version, there is a third cd with the first three singles plus b-sides of the Group (except the b-side "Scarecrow" that are already on the album) and some interesting surprises, including the stereo mix of "Apples and Oranges".
All songs written by Syd Barrett, except where indicated.
|The Piper at the Gates of Dawn|
|1.||Astronomy Domine||4: 12|
|2.||Lucifer Sam||3: 09 am|
|3.||Matilda Mother||3: 09 am|
|5.||Pow R. Toc H. (Barrett, Waters, Wright, Mason)||4: 28|
|6.||Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk (Waters)||3: 08|
|7.||Interstellar Overdrive (Barrett, Waters, Wright, Mason)||9: 43|
|8.||The Gnome||2: 15|
|9.||Chapter 24||3: 44|
|11.||Bike||3: 24 am|
- Syd Barrett -vocals, guitar
- Roger Waters -bass guitar, vocals
- Richard Wright -keyboards, vocals
- Nick Mason -drums
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, portrayed by Paul Bransom in theAmerican Edition of The wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame from1913*The title "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" refers to the title of the seventh chapter of The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame.
- The title, and largely the lyrics, from "Chapter 24" come from Chapter 24 of the I ching. Chapter 24 is called in the book ' Fu ', which change/success means. (Think of lyric: "Change return success, action brings good fortune")
- "Lucifer Sam" was originally called "Percy the Rat catcher". Percy was the cat's Syd. Jennifer Gentle from this number refers to a girlfriend of Syd, Jenny Spires. Also in this issue and reuse of texts from the "I Ching" book.
- For "Matilda Mother" las "Cautionary Tales" texts for Syd literally from Hillaire Belloc, a kinderversenboek of. However when it became clear that Pink Floyd are not allowed to put this on the album has got Syd written his own version.
- ' Dan Dare ' as sung in "Astronomy Domine" refers to a cartoon character.
- "Pow r. Toc h." became as "The Pink Jungle" played during "The Man and the Journey"-concerts.
- The song "Take up Thy Stethoscope and Walk" is the first Roger Waters-number recorded.