Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Smoking Flowers are a rock duo from Nashville, TN composed of husband and wife Scott and Kim Collins. Their style incorporates stylings from roots, alt-country, punk, and folk. Their sound has been described by Alt Country Magazine as, "less traditional than your classic country-folk duo by bringing a punk-attitude and energy to their highly infectious songs. A marriage of song and voice that is uniquely their own."
Kim and Scott are both vocalists and multi-instrumentalists. In any given show, lead vocalist Kim will play accordion, harmonica, drums, ukulele, mandolin and guitar, while Scott plays lead guitar, harmonica and sings. Their sound encompasses a wide range; they have been described as everywhere from "beautifully ragged; sometimes beautifully haunting; many times beautifully goofy-grinned and/or playful, pleading, and pledging – but always beautiful" to "Kurt Cobain's ratty sweater traded for a CBGB tshirt and a bolo tie."
The Smoking Flowers have released two albums of original music and one EP featuring covers. Their second album, 2 Guns, has been described by Billboard's Allmusic Guide as "a remarkably strong and inspired album, taking cues from past masters but rooted in their own stories and personal flair." 2 Guns also received positive reviews from The Nashville Scene, Pop Matters, and The Vinyl Anachronist, saying "it's rare that an album captures this kind of unabashed emotion without resorting to hip distancing devices or a wall of sound."
The song "Something I Said" from their sophomore album 2 Guns was licensed in ABC's hit show Revenge. A music video for the song premiered on American Songwriter and was directed by Allen Clark, famed photographer of Julian Assange.
Since forming their own label in 2013, they have toured consistently, performing about 100 shows a year all across the United States and Canada. They met in the summer of 1998, while Scott was visiting Nashville with his brother. Kim was managing the Nashville music venue 12th & Porter and Scott walked in looking for a job. Six months later, the couple was engaged. They have been married for 14 years and have made their home in East Nashville.
- Sweet As Port (2009) Bandaloop Records
- 2 Guns (2013) Bandaloop Records
- 1985 (2014) Bandaloop Records
- ↑ The Smoking Flowers « ALTCOUNTRY.NL. altcountry.nl. Retrieved on March 24, 2015.
- ↑ Template:Cite av media
- ↑ Smoking Flowers Album Review. The Deli Magazine - nashville.thedelimagazine.com/. Retrieved on March 24, 2015.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 The Smoking Flowers: 2 Guns. jambands.com. Retrieved on March 24, 2015.
- ↑ Fred Thomas. 2 Guns - The Smoking Flowers - Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards - AllMusic. AllMusic. Retrieved on March 24, 2015.
- ↑ The Smoking Flowers. PopMatters. Retrieved on March 24, 2015.
- ↑ .. The Vinyl Anachronist. thevinylanachronist.blogspot.com. Retrieved on March 24, 2015.
- ↑ Video Premiere: The Smoking Flowers, "Something I Said" - American Songwriter. American Songwriter. Retrieved on March 24, 2015.