- Gustav Mahler composes his Symphony No. 1 The Titanium
- Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky composes his Symphony No. 5
- Gabriel Fauré composes the orchestral suite Pelléas et Mélisande, op. 80
- Claude Debussy composes Deux Arabesques
- Eric Satie writes the Gymnopédies for piano.
28 January: first performance of Symphony No. 2 by Victor Bendix
6 March: first performance of Norwegian march by Hjalmar BorgstrømHjalmar Jensen, then still called1 October is/are Lieder aus "Des Knaben Wunderhorn" Christian Sinding 's to hear for the first time